Monday, July 7, 2008

When I Told the Truth and What Happened Next

So on Saturday at work I was going to the wheelchair bathroom to dump the icky mop water and put some clean water in, but before I got there a girl came along from the hotel to go to the bathroom, so since the normal bathrooms were locked I let her into the wheelchair bathroom. Before going in she wanted to know why the normal bathrooms were locked. I thought about it for a second and then just told her the truth flat out, "Well, if we don't lock them people from the street come in and shoot up in the bathroom." And she just laughed. My answer was so far from what she was expecting that she just laughed. She went into the bathroom and I could still hear her laughing. She said that my "honesty cracked her up."

One day a telemarketer called and asked me if anyone was around to do her survey "like my mommy" and I said no. Which is technically true since she was technically asking for my mommy and my mom was not there. Nothing really resulted from this.

Then one night I was reading and my phone rang and I answered it and it was some guy who had the wrong number. Then he starts texting me and apologizing and asking about "where my man was at" and I said I was single (because it's the truth) and then he wanted me to call him (because I sounded so "sexy on the phone"...ok if you read the story above you know that a lot of people think I sound like a little kid on the phone) and whatever and I was like "AH! NO!" and I kept saying no and then he called me but I didn't answer and then I told Katie and she told me I had to either tell him I had a boyfriend or say point blank I wasn't interested. So I did the telling the truth one and then he went away.

At church on Sunday we read Psalm 25 which says "No one who trusts in you will ever be disgraced, but disgrace comes to thos who try to deceive others."

At work Saturday night I was sweeping outside because the wind kept blowing icky stuff in everytime the door opened and a driver from a Diversified coach (Red Arrow's sister company) came in and he was talking to me and then he reaches out and touches my left ring finger and asks me "How come you're not wearing it?" and I'm like "HUH? Wearing what?" and he's like "Your ring" And I'm like "um, I don't have one" and he's like "Oh good, then I still have a chance" Which is where I kind of laughed, turned red, and started sweeping with a vengeance. Now if only I'd said "It's just getting sized" or something like that then it would have been a little less creepy! But it was creepy. Plus I don't even know his name, and he totally knows mine cuz I have to wear a stupid name tag!

I have to skip a day of clinical to go to Becky's wedding. Getting permission for this is pretty much impossible becaus the Faculty of Nursing seems to believe that when we pay tuition to become their students we also sign over our souls. So I have a choice to make: Do I tell the truth and ask my instructor if it is possible or do I call in sick that day? I'm going to ask her tomorrow. Going bravely forward where few have gone before, and even fewer have gotten favorable answers.

No comments: