Wednesday, June 25, 2008

Hug My Flower With Your Eyes

Tree Hugger
The flower said, "I wish I was a tree,
"The tree said, "I wish I could be
A different kind of tree,
The cat wished that it was a bee,
The turtle wished that it could fly
Really high into the sky,
Over rooftops and then dive
Deep into the sea.
And in the sea there is a fish,
A fish that has a secret wish,
A wish to be a big cactus
With a pink flower on it.
This is a part of one of my new favorite songs, and today I went for a walk, and I thought about a lot of things, and then later realized that this song is about me. I'm the flower, the tree, the cat, the turtle, and the fish: Never really satisfied with me the way I am.
Which was what I was thinking about as I was walking. I was thinking about the little things about me that are me, but that I am actually ashamed of, which got me thinking that those things are me, and even if they are dorky they are still me, and I need to start embracing those things. So I'm making a little list (this is a blog of lists apparently) of things that I think ya'll ought to know about me:
  1. M*A*S*H is the greatest show ever, Hawkeye can make me laugh AND cry in one episode.
  2. I laugh at things that no one else thinks are funny, and when no one is around to think I'm crazy for laughing: I laugh and it's OUT OF CONTROL
  3. I listen to country music, Christmas music, Christian music, and hymns/worship music. I'll listen to the other stuff too, but I don't know any of it.
  4. I'm not really comfortable with swearing. I swear sometimes (for dramatic affect or shock value or on a really bad day out of frustration) and I don't mind when others swear, but I really think that if you can't come up with something different to say you are lacking in imagination.
  5. If you don't know me, and you meet me just a heads up: I'm probably not going to say anything more than "Hi, yeah, my names Katie. Nice to meet you. How are you? --- Oh, I'm fine thanks."
  6. I don't drink. Not even socially. I just drink wine at my grandma's to scare her and because it tastes like apple juice and is like 0.05% alcohol.
  7. (last one for now) I don't read things to find a deeper symbolic philosophical meaning. I read the story, and that's all I take from it, unless the deeper symbolic philosophical meaning is spelled out for me. So there.

I hope ya'll still love me.

2 comments:

Shauna Bennett said...

I love ya! And a few of those are me too...especially the last one. Sometimes I get frustrated with the ways in which other people think, but I'm sure it's mutual. God made you a unique and beautiful women Katie, and I LOVE getting to see His creativity and love through you.

Jason Mills said...

I don't think you need to be embarrased or ashamed of those things at all... I think they are great! They really are a part of you. And you are pretty awesome.

How was your weekend? I missed seeing you at The Project on Sunday.