Saturday, October 24, 2009

Getting It Together

Today I realized that in 1 week and 2 months I will have been finished school for an entire year, and like all the other mile markers in my life, it is nothing like I expected it to be.

In elementary school, you look at the high school kids, and they have it all together.
In high school, you look at the college kids, and they have it all together.
In college, well, clearly, the graduates, out there working and living the dream, they have it all together.
Well, here I am. Working hard, and "living the dream" and I don' t have it all together.

An entire year of nursing will soon be over. I'm not as smart as I hoped to be, but neither am I as stupid as I was afraid I could be. How does an entire year go by...how did I become "senior staff"?? How is it that I teach student nurses? And sort of live by myself? How come I'm in Winnipeg, even though I don't know where else to be?

Perhaps, this seeking to "have it all together" is the wrong thing to strive for.

On a completely other note, now that I have had a really good day at work, and have Sunday off, and then have something to do written on every single day of my calendar for the next week, and now that it's only 1 week left of a crazy last 2.5 weeks of the month I think I can make it to the end of next week. November will be a new month, and the first time in what feels like several weeks (but hasn't really been that long) that I will have more than 1 day off at a time. HUGE sigh of relief.

I think I need to sleep now. And see if i have sweet dreams.

No comments: