Monday, March 30, 2009

Happy is what happens when all your dreams come true.

Is it terrible to take a whole line of a song to make it the title of a blog post? Cuz I just did it. And I'm not going to change it. I might even do it again if it works out that a song fits what's going through my mind.

Somewhere on the road between Hecla Island and Winnipeg we were listening to a program on CBC Radio and the hostess of the show was talking to researchers about happiness. Who's idea was it to study happiness anyways? Their results found that money made people happy, but wanting more money made people unhappy. And, even though money is the highest indicator of happiness, the happiest city in Canada is St. John, New Brunswick...not exactly one of the provinces rolling in the dough.

The study also found that children do not make people any happier or less happier.
Jerks. I make my parents happier!

Ultimately, I disagree with the researchers and their results. I don't think that money makes people happier. I do agree that desperately just wanting money makes people unhappier. But I think that "Happy" is too contextual, cultural, and personal to actually be studied with the assumption that the results are completely transferable.

I'd say that my level of happiness fluctuates with a variety of things, and sometimes money may be one of those factors. Sometimes happiness is a choice I have to make. To just let go of some things and find happiness where I am. Sometimes simple things just make me happy. Like a quick hello from someone that lets me know I'm thought of, or something I read or saw or heard that makes me smile, spending time with people, spending time alone, finding balance, window shopping, my job, getting snail mail, making someone's day, finding something new, or something old, sun, rain, snow, summer, winter, spring, fall, a good stretch, a good chat, writing, walking IV, writing about IV, sleeping in, staying up late, watching a good movie, and I could list a lot more, but this would get out of control long.

The point is that, I'm sorry CBC Radio lady, I don't care what the research says, I'm gonna say that I don't agree. I know people with very little money, and they are happy. It's different for everyone, and so stop researching!

I'm going to write about IV now.

No comments: