Wednesday, March 5, 2014

Instead of Ashes I See Snow

On this snowy Ash Wednesday I am drinking a glass of wine, baking chocolate cupcakes (the plan of topping them with peanut butter icing is being entertained), and listening to Avici. Sounds like a little too much luxury and indulgence for the start of Lent, doesn't it? It would be considered an epic Lent related fail if I had given up chocolate, sweets, music or wine; but that's not the plan. My normal morning routine involves an alarm going off (ok, actually 3 alarms going off)and me hitting the snooze button around 11 times. Usually when I went to bed the night before I would have planned for me to shower and/or make breakfast and/or make my lunch and/or read my Bible and/or walk the dog, and/or do some yoga. Of course, after that 11th 5 minute nap it's actually time for me to do the bare minimum in time to dash off to work a solid 5 minutes late (which I tell myself is because of traffic, obviously). This is why I am giving up the snooze button for Lent. It's going to be a difficult habit to break, but I am hoping to inject some intentional living into my morning routine. Stop my time wasting, and embrace the day God is blessing me with. Since I am anticipating all this free time in the morning, I am also adding in the Lenten Reader that the Evangelical Covenant Church of Canada (ECCC) compiled. I am looking forward to the addition of scripture and reading/responding to the reflections of my across-the-country-church-family. I'd like to use this time wisely, and listen and trust and practice my gifts. I'd love to write. I'd love to bake gifts for friends and neighbours. I'd love to sing, dance, play piano, and embrace joy. Making my intentions public is the first step. Next, I am going to lick the beaters from the peanut butter icing. Goodnight!

No comments: