Saturday, November 22, 2008

What's In a Name?

This week (and of course by week I mean weekend) at the hospital I have had a patient who knows my name. I introduced myself when I was first assigned to him on Friday and he told me that his mother had my name (which makes it a lot easier to remember). So really, I guess not all that remarkable. But then, he uses my name. He calls me by my name. He introduced me to his wife and daughter by my name and now they call me by my name. Today they said "Hi Katie, how are you today?"

It's made me realize that we (or at least I) don't name people a lot. In most of my e-mails and text messages I say "Hey" or "Hello" and then blast off into whatever the message is going to say. On the unit it's "8 bed 1 wants a pain killer, 14 needs to go to the bathroom, 32 needs to be turned" Which I understand because it's the best way to keep everything straight...trying to remember where 19 patients are (when they can change daily) is hard, but I tend to try to say "Mrs. X in 8-1 wants a pain killer, Mr. V in 14 needs to go to the bathroom, etc"

Because it's great to be named. I think it's fantastic that Mr. H calls me Katie, says "good morning Katie" and introduces me to his visitors.

It's interesting.
And I'm going to try to use peoples names more often. So that maybe they'll feel special too. Or maybe it's just me...and I'm crazy.

3 comments:

mrsrichter said...

you are wiser than you give yourself credit for being. i, for one, appreciate your insights.

Ben Blackwood said...

I know that this sounds narcissistic, but i love it when people that i love or admire use my name. I love you, katie.
--k.

Ben Blackwood said...

(i don't know who "peter" is. That's just who the computer said that i was. I suppose "peter" is who i would be if i was a boy.) --k.